Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

World Youth Day Saga Part 3: The Eternal City


Rome, the Capital city of Italy, is truly an eternal city. It was my dream city and going there was a dream-come-true for me. I'm glad we included it in our itinerary.


We went to the eternal city just after the World Youth Day in Madrid. The highlight, of course, of our pilgrimage to Rome is going to Vatican. In Vatican, we were awed by the gigantic St. Peter's Basilica. (When I got back to the Philippines, honestly, I thought all our Churches were small, including the Cathedral in Baguio and the Mini Basilica in Quiapo.)

There was a long queue of visitors and we had to line up and wait. But it was worth the wait. Inside, there were many Chapels and we heard Mass (in Italian this time) in St. Joseph's Chapel. We also saw the Pieta there and we went down to recite the creed in the tomb of St. Peter and the past Popes (the tomb of St. Peter is buried underground) It is a tradition of the Catholics to recite the Creed when we take a pilgrimage to the Vatican. I believe that it is a good tradition because it gives honor to the first Pope who is St. Peter and it reminds us of what we believe in.

We went around the place taking photos. Later on I left my group for a while to meet my Aunt. Yes, I met my Aunt who resides in Rome. It was a wonderful opportunity for me. She tagged her cousin along, who is also my Aunt in the second degree. For thirty minutes, we talked, laughed, took photos of each other and really had a wonderful time together. Oh, thirty minutes was such short a time to be with my beloved Aunt. How I wished I could spend more time with her but I had to be with my group or else, they will leave me and my VISA would expire. On the second thought, I think I should have had stayed with her. What a regret. But I promised her I will go back sooner or later.




With Aunt Vicky and Aunt Elie
Of course, when you go to Rome, you should not miss trying their gelato.  Their gelato is really good, especially if the weather is hot.

While we were in Rome, my friend (my rosary buddy) and I were reciting our Rosaries when we came by a gelato store. It was so hot that it was tempting to go inside. Our other friends opted to go inside to buy gelato for themselves but we opted not to because we were trying to finish our Rosaries. But as we prayed, we saw our friends enjoying their gelato. I was envious and I kept on thinking about gelato. I thought, after our Rosary, I should buy myself one too. I look at my Rosary buddy and I knew she was thinking of the same thing. Then I looked at the gelato again. I was going to ask her " Gusto mo? Tara!" (You want gelato? Let's go.)  But she paused. She swallowed. And said, "We offer our sacrifice of not eating gelato for the souls in Purgatory." 

I laughed. Whaaaaaaaat? Are you offering my own sacrifice also? Why did you not say "I"? Does it have to be We? Does it mean I don't get to have my gelato? Well, that was only in my mind, of course. (And I do not regret that she included my little “sacrifice”) But that moment, my friend taught me of the meaning of sacrifice. It was only a little sacrifice - not eating something we really wanted to eat. But she turned it into something Supernatural. I admire her. Even if I did not get what I wanted, (she didn't get what she wanted too), I feel happy. 
The Italian Gelato

I had wonderful time in the Eternal city of Rome. We stayed there for two days then we went to Milan for  our take off. From there, we bode goodbye to Europe. "Til we meet again."



The World Youth Day is so meaningful to me that I had to share my experience with you. It is indescribable. I'm still trying to live World Youth Day every day. But it is not easy, really. But it's okay. Nothing is really easy in this world, isn't it?

P.S.1.
Oh, before I forget, it is my Rosary Buddy’s birthday today! Happy Birthday Mimay! I’m Happy I met you!


P.S.2. Read previous post related to World Youth Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...