Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

How Taming Your Weaknesses Can Make You a Saint



Do you know your weaknesses? Do you throw your temper easily at the first sight of an unpleasant thing? Are you a number one procrastinator? Are you overly self conscious?  Is it difficult for you to be organized?

It has been hard for me to focus. For instance, I wrote a lot of drafts in the past days, but for some reasons, I was not able to post. I'm scatterbrained and practicing the virtue of order had been my struggle since the day I was born. (Okay, that's an exaggeration.)

My family and my friends know this: I always start things and never seem to finish. It's a miracle that I'm keeping up with my blog. *wink*

Later on, I learned that my personality, being a sanguine-choleric type, has something to do with it. Impulsive, Enthusiastic, Talkative (I'm still having a hard time admitting that even if almost all of my friends tell me that I'm talkative. haha), Forgetful, Frequently wrong, etc.

I learned that one of my friends has the same predicament. She, too, is overly enthusiastic. She lacks focus and is scatterbrained - like me. But her situation is worse because aside from having a sanguine-choleric type of personality, she also has ADHD. Her doctor prescribed that she drink brewed coffee to help her focus. So I drink coffee too to help me stay focused.

Okay, this post has nothing to do with coffee. I just inserted that to justify my addiction for coffee. Sorry. :D

Anyway, before I make my point, I want to ask an important question. Is our case (me and my friend) hopeless? Will we remain scatterbrained or talkative or overly enthusiastic and unrealistic for the rest of our lives? Were we born this way and stay this way forever?

My answer is no. Of course we will still lean to our natural tendencies but we can tame our weaknesses.

For example, Saint Peter was sanguine-choleric. He was impulsive, enthusiastic, protective, talkative, frequently wrong,  - yet a heroic and passionate leader of the flock. He impulsively declared that he will go to prison and die for Jesus but after a few hours, he denied that he knows Him. He impetuously jumped out of the boat to walk on the water but then he begun to sink when he looked down at the water and became afraid.

But he was amazingly transformed. His weaknesses were tamed. And he has contributed significantly to the growth of the Christian faith through his passionate leadership, openness and generosity, and love for people.

Knowing that there are Saints and famous persons (like Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton) who had the same weaknesses as I have gave me hope. Who knows, someday, me and my friend will be Saints too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...