Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

I am the Innkeeper

Before my final installment on my World Youth Day Saga, I would like to tell you my experience of Christmas as the Innkeeper.

In the office, we were asked to have a costume of a Christmas Character and I picked the Innkeeper. I complained right away because I didn’t like it. I said the character was insignificant and that he was a bad person. The innkeeper is famous for his words “There is no place in the Inn”. It was like throwing away Joseph and Mary in their dire needs. I did’t like the innkeeper and I was not gonna wear the costume. But reflecting further and upon putting myself in the shoes of the innkeeper in front of the Belen, I learned that I was wrong.

I am the innkeeper. For the whole day, I was busy – cleaning, doing the dishes, washing clothes, the usual things that I do. But today, I did the chores with more intensity than before because my workload has doubled.  There were more visitors now in Bethlehem as ever before because of the census. The inn is full. Good for business.

I was standing in the doorway resting and breathing fresh air when I noticed that a star was shining brightly above my stable. I thought that the star was also doing its job (to shine) with more intensity. Was it also because of the Census? I smiled. It was then that a tired looking man came to me asking for a place to stay. I explained to him that there was no place in the inn. Then I saw a few meters away a young girl riding a donkey. It was obvious that she was in pain and that she was giving birth. “Oh no! The girl needs a place to stay!” I thought. I was rattled. Because I was looking at my stable when they came, I pointed it to them. The man carried his wife right away and ran to the stable. I followed them. I helped the girl deliver the baby. When it came out, the couple was very happy. Their countenance changed. The tired looking man’s face glowed and the pain in the girl’s face was gone. They were joyful… happy. I looked at the child in my arms and I suddenly became happy too. I forgot about my tiredness. I looked at the child again before handed Him to His mother.

“Here He is, the Messiah!” the man exclaimed. I couldn’t believe my ears. Is the Child really the messiah? My question was answered when shepherds came to worship the Child, followed by wise men who gave gifts to Him. I suddenly felt ashamed that I was only able to offer a stable for the Child. I busied myself in cleaning the place while the wise men and the shepherds gave their tribute to the Child. It was the least I can do for the moment. When the visitors went, I apologized to the couple. I learned that their names were Joseph and Mary. I advised them to rest because I’m sure they were so tired in their journey and in Mary’s giving birth. I pointed to them the place I cleaned up. They laid the child in the manger which I filled up with hay and they slept beside Him. I could breathe now. I couldn’t believe it happened, yet, I feel so blessed that of all the homes in Bethlehem, our home was chosen to be the birth place of the Messiah.

I stepped out of the stable gently. I went back to the inn to look for things which the baby might need. I got blankets and water and food. I walked back to the stable. I noticed that it was already dawn and the sun was going to rise soon. When I arrived at the stable, the man Joseph was already awake and He was waking up his spouse, Mary. He quickly packed all their things and they got ready to travel again. Mary held the Child in her arms and rode the donkey. I did not have the chance to ask them why they were in a hurry. Joseph and Mary thanked me for my “generosity”. I gave them the blankets and the food and water and bode them goodbye.

Later on, I found out why they were in a hurry. Men on horses came to Bethlehem looking for all firstborns and they killed all they found. Many parents were in agony. But in secret, I told them what I witnessed and I assured them that the Messiah, who will save us all, has come. The lives of their children has not ended up in vain.

Disclaimer: This is merely a result of my personal reflection and it does not represent actual events.

MERRY and MEANINGFUL CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...