Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

One Face, Four Places: Our Lady of Lourdes

Since the World Youth Day, doing a Marian Pilgrimage became one of my favorite things. I couldn’t help but have a special devotion to Our Lady. In particular, I have a special devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes. And because today is the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes (February 11 is the first apparition of Our Lady to Saint Bernadette Soubirous, a 14-year old peasant girl from Lourdes), it is good to talk about her. I will not elaborate on the story; rather, I want to show you the shrines I already visited which are dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.

First, I want to show to you the most recent shrine I and four other friends recently visited. It is the Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto in Baguio City. Before reaching the top, we had to climb 252 steps. While climbing up, we were reciting the Rosary. It was awkward for some of my friends. But it wasn’t for me. Perhaps I developed a thick skin on that matter because during the World Youth Day, we recited the Rosary anywhere, even while we were on the bus. I guess reciting the Rosary while traveling is the best way to spend the time. Of course, it should not be so loud so as not to attract attention.

Our Lady of Lourdes, Baguio

Doing a pilgrimage on a Marian Shrine can do many great things. Even if you consider it only as a tourist spot (like one of my friends said), something wonderful will happen inside of you, even if you may not know it. For me, I experience enormous peace whenever I do a pilgrimage. I also gained a lot of favors through the intercession of Our Lady. For some, the result could be healing. Let us listen to one of my friends who was with me in the pilgrimage in Baguio.

“ I joined the pilgrimage because I see it as a good opportunity to start the year right (though it's already late January). You also know that I'm having emotional problems that time so I consider going on a pilgrimage to lighten my burden. I don't know how it works, but it did. After the pilgrimage, I'm feeling better. Maybe because I knew that I did something good that day, or because I prayed, or maybe because while on a pilgrimage I am also relaxing. I forgot about the extra baggage  that's torturing my mind and focused on the rosary. In a way, it has healed me.”

I see it as a miracle. We don’t know how or why. We do not even know if we deserve it. But that is grace. It comes overflowing. It is a gift that we receive from God.

Next, I want to show you a shrine of Our Lady in one of the Churches in Tagaytay. We passed here when we were on our way to climb Mount Batulao in Batangas last May last year.
Our Lady of Lourdes, Tagaytay

Then, the  miniature of the original shrine located in Bulacan. It is almost like the original, only it is smaller.
Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Bulacan


Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, Bulacan




And finally, the original Lourdes Grotto in France where Our Lady appeared to Saint Bernadette. I will say this again and again. It was a blessing that I was able to have a pilgrimage in the original Lourdes Grotto. It is truly a holy place. I recommend that if you have the opportunity to go there, grab it.


Our Lady of Lourdes Church, France



Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, France


P.S.
Today is the birthday of my Mom. You may include her in you prayers. Her name is Bernadette. Happy birthday Mama! I love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...